[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 23:15:35 CST 2012

>    hg clone blahblah/dft/log   mydft-log   or  dft/log  if they keep a
> bunch of them in the dft directory.

If you're using this as your argument, then why not the reverse? Why even
look at the website *ever*?

$ hg clone bitbucket/petsc/dft-log dft/log

1) They are not actually subsets since eventually patches in a release
> cannot be applied to the dev so the next release does not have everything
> that went into a previous release

So, you're willing, right now, to patch 3.1? Or are you going to tell the
person to update? Yeah, that's what I thought.

> 2)   Because any idiot who simply wants petsc-3.0.0 (because they are
> using Joe's code which they are not allowed to update) can simply see the
> list of files and grab the one they want. They need to know nothing about
> nothing to do this. Not everyone in the world is an expert Mecurial user or
> even a crappy Mecurial user (just look at me).

This won't change. Custom downloads can be provided. Why, look at what we
have here:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/downloads/old-people-suck.tar.gz

> Even if you were right about this specific issue (which you are not) it
> doesn't matter. All you've done is removed the need for a releases
> subdirectory. What about tutorials subdirectory, externalpackages
> subdirectory, anothercoolthingwethinkofnextweek subdirectory.

Why does the *server* have to have the subdirectory?

$ hg clone bb://petsc/anothercoolthing
subdirectory-that-can-suck-eggs/anothercoolthing

> Please explain to me the real reasons bitbucket is better than petsc.cs.
>  and stop rationalizing around bitbuckets weaknesses. Every choice has some
> tradeoffs and I haven't heard much about bitbuckets advantages so I am
> confused why you guys are so in love with it. (Well I understand Sean's
> reasons, being pretty lazy myself :-)).

I'll let Jed explain about forks and have the reverse look-up (how many
people have forked petsc). For me, it's drop-dead simple management.