[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 21:54:13 CST 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> > petsc-release(s)

> > > Actually, it's even easier than that:
> > >
> > > https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/downloads
> > >
> > > which provides downloads for all taged changesets.
> >
> > tags are no good. we implrement branches in different clones.
> >

> I am not sure what you mean by this. Let me be explicit.
>
> This organization is semantic, and Completely outside the version control
> structure. I want something to tell me "this repo is about simulating
> rockets"
> like Kit, the voice in Michael's car. Tags are fine for this. So is a
> hierarchy.
> So is silly XML metadata.

I interpreted sean as suggesting using 'hg tags' to organize relase patches
and dev changes in a single repo. And instead of using seprate clones
for releases as we do now - redo the work flow with 'hg tags'

To me its not easy to implement branches with tags - hence the above
statement. [either you have named branches or you let the repo have
multiple heads - and keep tagging the release head and workarround the
confusion during merges etc. I'd rather deal with these issues in
separate clones for release/dev]

satish