[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 21:47:55 CST 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 20:59, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > If we have to create multiple accounts to better organize repos - so
> > be it..
> >

> I take it the concern is that we end up with a long list of release
> repositories that would look like clutter (although they'll be sorted so
> they wouldn't be near the top).

Actually the number of repos is not a concern. But a reasonable
organization is. The current *groups* we are are:

releases
tutorials
externalpackages
externalpackages-old

Perhpas we might benifit with a few more - as times goes by.

> Looking at the history, we really only ever have one release repository
> that is accepting patches. After the 3.2 release, there are zero patches
> applied to petsc-3.1. So maybe it would make sense to just have a single
> "petsc-release" repository. You can update to tags if you want to revisit
> something old.

> Note that this would make our installation tutorials more
> future-proof, always clone petsc-release if you want the release.

sure you get some and loose some [features] :). Users get to update
from release to release with the same clone [but then their
externalpacakges will mess up their install ]. Yeah you have to tag
just before pulling everything from 'dev' to release - and be able to
create the equivalent 'old release' clones.

Still I think the current organization is decent - and not in need of
overhaul. If this gets importantat we can do it later aswell.

Satish