[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 8 08:11:04 CST 2012

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Barry Smith wrote:

> >>   Besides who the heck set up the machine so it cannot be started remotely? Should have used an Apple machine :-)
> >

> > It was a human error [when you tell something to shutdown - it should not automatically restart].
> >
> > yeah - if we installed server infrastructure with remote admin feature
> > - then it could have been powered up remotely [from the remote
> > management console or something like that..]
>
>    Isn't that a basic Linux thing, start on LANS signal.

I guess you mean 'wake up on lan'. I don't know enough about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Sounds like one needs to:
- enable this feature in bios [if its supported].
- have some clinet that can send the magic packet for WOL. [usually
hardware on the same LAN]
- and WOL might not work from all types of shutdowns [perhaps it
will work from software initiated shutdown].

Needs some experimentation to figure this out.

Also there is a BIOS feature: restart ofter power failure - and this
is enabled on this machine.

> > looks like folks [Sean,Matt,Barry] are happy with bitbucket.
>
>    Not me. I'm not happy with it.  I prefer the PETSc machine, bitbucket is just a back up when the PETSc machine goes down. If the PETSc machine is back up then we switch the master repository back.

Ok - I restored the repos on petsc.cs.iit.edu - but I think the debate
will continue [about permanant switch].

Satish