[petsc-dev] Interface for HIPS

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:01:18 CST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM, John Fettig <john.fettig at gmail.com> wrote:
> It provides a parallel Schur complement preconditioner which can evidently
> handle in a black-box fashion ill conditioned systems.  I presume that the
> interface to HYPRE would be extremely similar in nature. Here are a couple
> of references:
>
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1137/040608258
> http://www.um.es/freefem/ff++/uploads/Main/henon.pdf
>
> It looks like the project may be dead, though, and I'm sure you're not keen
> on adopting any more stray puppies.

They have been flogging this one for almost 20 years. The problem is
that is works
on so few problems. The complement rapidly becomes dense, and the sparsification
is never a very good preconditioner. If you have time, put it into
productive things like
better multigrid, block PCs, and things we know actually work.

    Matt

> Regards,
> John
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>

>>    I looked at the example codes and cannot conceive of any reason why we
>> would wish to or need to provide an interface to this software.
>>
>>     Barry
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Hong Zhang <hzhang at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> > A summer student project?
>> > Hong