[petsc-dev] malloc_dump noise from threadcomm

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 8 18:32:10 CST 2012

  Jed,

    Stop, I've decided I don't like this approach, it mixed the low-level malloc() stuff with the higher level PETSc object stuff.

    We already maintain a list of PetscObjects in the file inherit.c   So we can use the function PetscObjectsView() to print out all the non-destroyed objects. All we need to do is a add support to PetscObjectsView() to snag the the stack list for the first malloc in each object (which is created with PetscMalloc()) and print that out with the object info.  Note that PetscTrMallocDefault() uses PetscStackCopy() which somehow keeps the entire stack at the malloc, this could be accessed somehow in PetscObjectsView() to get the stack where the object was malloced.

   Barry