[petsc-dev] Lies in PCFieldSplit

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 2 22:57:27 CST 2012

  Jed, Matt, or I are responsible for what are likely lies in the field split naming terminology

   We have

const char *const PCFieldSplitSchurPreTypes[] = {"SELF","DIAG","USER","PCFieldSplitSchurPreType","PC_FIELDSPLIT_SCHUR_PRE_",0};

Diag here actually means the A11 matrix, correct?

    case PC_FIELDSPLIT_SCHUR_PRE_DIAG:
      ierr = PetscViewerASCIIPrintf(viewer,"  Preconditioner for the Schur complement formed from the block diagonal part of A11\n");CHKERRQ(ierr);break;
    case PC_FIELDSPLIT_SCHUR_PRE_USER:
      if (jac->schur_user) {

block diagonal part of A11 actually means A11, correct?  Otherwise what blocks????

   Once I get confirmation that these are phrased wrong I will update the source to be less confusing. Otherwise please example what diagonal means and how it is used here.

    Thanks