[petsc-dev] Consider changing default installation instructions so that OS X users don't mix their MPI metaphors

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 5 13:44:40 CDT 2011

  It would be nice if the executable could somehow detect that it is being run with the wrong mpiexec command;

On Jun 5, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Aron Ahmadia wrote:

> Hi Satish,
>
> That's reasonable.  What about the idea of adding the instructions to append $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/bin to your path if prefix has not been used?

    There is always the danger of giving too many instructions so all the instructions get ignored by the user. And people can misread instructions, for example I think you actually need to PREPEND the petsc bin directory not append it to the path and lots of people will get that wrong.

    I'm a fan of using the $PETSC_DIR/bin/petscmpiexec  command, but Satish is not :-)