[petsc-dev] Indexing only the most recent man pages

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sun Jun 5 12:32:10 CDT 2011

If you search for PETSc function names on google, you frequently get
arbitrary old man pages. For example, the first result in a search for
MatGetSubMatrix is from petsc-2.3.1.

http://www.google.com/search?q=matgetsubmatrix

This API was changed more than two years ago.

I believe we can turn these off by putting the right stuff in robots.txt. I
don't know if there are any site tweaks we can do so that the latest release
(whatever that happens to be) is always the first result. (Of course there
is no explicit way to do that because it could be abused, but some sites are
quite successful at getting the top google results to be current.)

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf