[petsc-dev] features of GAMG

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 25 14:07:30 CST 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 14:02, Mark F. Adams <mark.adams at columbia.edu>wrote:

> I've looked at ksp/ksp/examples/tutorial/ex56 and the modification that I
> make to emin and emax seem to be essential and very useful, respectively.
>  But I am seeing something funny with Cheb.

Are you comparing to "-mg_levels_ksp_chebychev_estimate_eigenvalues
0,0.1,0,1.1" or do you mean relative to some naive Cheby configuration?

> Jed:  I'm seeing very little difference in convergence rates on ex56 when
> I use a first, second or fourth order Cheb smoother.  I've seen some cases
> where the final residual was slightly larger with a higher order smoother.
>  I think there is something wrong here ...

Can you show me an example? I have certainly seen it make a different for
other problems.

> Also, I thought we had added something like -pc_mg_smooth to set the
> number of smoothing steps when you are using the same smoother for the up
> and down smoother.  I can not see a command for this.  I did '-help | grep
> smooth', and I tried a few things.  So to test this you need to manually
> fix the smoothing steps at about line 662 in gamg.c.

We would normally use something like -mg_levels_ksp_max_it 3. Or are you
talking about applying first-order Cheby multiple times?