[petsc-dev] Relocatable RPM for PETSc

Chekuri S. Choudary cchoudary at rnet-tech.com
Thu Dec 22 09:11:05 CST 2011

I am building an RPM for petsc-3.2-p5. I would like the users of the RPM to
be able to mention the PETSC_DIR at installation time, i.e, the RPM should
be relocatable.

For example,

rpm -ivh  --prefix=$HOME/petsc

export PETSC_DIR=$HOME/petsc

The issue is that while building the RPM, the "configure -prefix=$DIR"
builds the package assuming that $DIR is the final location of the files.
So, the only way seems to be to decide the

installation path upfront and make the RPM non relocatable.

Even with PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH, it looks like the path is being
hardcoded, i.e, once PETSc is built, the files cannot be simply moved by
changing PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH. I was wondering if there is workaround
for this issue or if I am missing anything.

Thanks

Shiva