[petsc-dev] sacusp preconditioner - limited to seqaijcusp matrices?

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:21:59 CST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
>
> > I tried running a PyLith simulation using the sacusp preconditioner
> rather than ml. If I have the mat_type set to mpiaijcusp, I get an error
> message that sacusp preconditioner only works with CUSP matrices. I checked
> sacusp.c and the code checks to make sure the mat_type is seqaijcusp.
>
>    Since the sacusp preconditioner is no MPI parallel it cannot deal with
> MPI matrices. ML is a truly (MPI) parallel multi-level preconditioner so it
> is not really interchangable with sacusp.
>
>    You can use block Jacobi preconditioning -pc_type bjacobi -sub_pc_type
> sacusp   with sacusp on each block.

Hi Barry,

Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I just tried your suggestion of
using block jacobi with sacusp on the blocks and I can't get it to work.
For example, I run src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2.c with:

 mpirun -np 2 ./ex2 -ksp_type cg -pc_type bjacobi -sub_pc_type sacusp
-mat_type mpiaijcusp -vec_type mpicusp

and it still bombs on line 139 of sacusp.cu because the vector type is not
VECSEQCUSP.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
John