[petsc-dev] XDMF viewers

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Sat Dec 3 15:32:29 CST 2011

XDMF has collections and a time tag, so you can assign a time step to each dataset and create a collection of those datasets. You can put the data either in the same HDF5 file or different HDF5 file each time step, with a single XML file that points in the right place for each time step.

We (usually) do not have a changing grid, so we have a grid HDF5 file that is pointed to in each dataset with different data files for each. But instead of specifying different files, you can specify different groups inside an HDF5 file.

Is that what you mean by storing time steps?

Tim