[petsc-dev] Need a new name for DMDAGetOwnershipRanges

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Nov 29 16:37:46 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 23:34, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Then why didn't you say that? Your original email didn't make clear that
> lots of PETSc code needed to be changed (to perhaps a more cumbersome
> model).

Apologies for not enumerating all the code that would need to be revisited.

> When I thought basically it was only user code that needed much change I
> was perfectly happy to make them change it, but now that it involves PETSc
> code I'm not so sure :-)

 Sean, that's your cue.

  BUT given my hatred of new concepts and the fact that it basically fits
> the VecGetOwnershipRanges() concept I still think the correct fix is to
> change all the PETSc code but leave the same names. Never introduce a new
> concept to save changing code, only introduce a new concept when it is
> really needed and here it is not really needed!

Okay, but it will be a while before I can get to it.

Jed