[petsc-dev] Runtime selection of MatType for DMGetMatrix

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Nov 25 11:38:42 CST 2010

DMGetMatrix_DA currently looks at -da_mat_type, I would like to move the
logic to DMGetMatrix, and I think, rename to -dm_mat_type.  The latter
change would hit a lot of users in a subtle way, since their options files
will still work, but will ignore the -da_mat_type arguments.  It would not
be difficult to keep the old behavior around, but mark it deprecated.
 Opinions?

Along these lines, is the MatType argument to DMGetMatrix() the right way to
handle this?  I think that it should at least be valid to pass NULL instead
of a string, thus having the DM pick a suitable default.

Jed