[petsc-dev] configure failing because of old nvcc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 5 13:18:02 CDT 2010

I think part of the issue is the configure model for compiler detection.

Perhaps we want buildsystem to detect/set compilers as it sees.  And
then petsc side of configure to check if this functionality exists -
and then use it? [with --with-cuda=1 flag in cuda.py?]

There was a recent change to do version check of nvcc in buildsystem -
instead of the prior check in cuda.py. [I just striped out the one
from cuda.py - because it was broken].

If so - perhaps the fix is to remove this check from Buildsystem
[setCompilers.py - where it only determines cuda attributes like
version - as stashes this info] - and place the version check back in
cuda.py?

Satish