[petsc-dev] AMS and setting Options

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 10 19:58:25 CDT 2010

   PETSc-devers,

    I have resurrected the Alice Memory Snooper (AMS) and PETSc's interface to use it to set options via a GUI. It is still crude but has worked for me. For fun I posted a movie of its use at ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/AMSOptions.mov

   Barry

To use the AMS you need to install it from ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//hg/petsc/ams-dev; edit the file makeinc to set the compilers etc and do make all in the c and java/jni directories. Note AMS only uses Java for its GUIs, it doesn't need Java to snoop.

To use PETSc with the AMS run ./configure with the option --with-ams-dir=/directoryyouputams (not --download does not currently work, do you want to write it :-) Then cd src/sys/ams/java and javac -classpath .:${AMS_DIR}/java amsoptions.java after setting AMS_DIR. Yes this compile is not yet automated, do you want to write that :-)

To set options use, for example, ./ex19 -options_gui -ams_java localhost -info You may need to edit the commands in ams.c to get it to use Java with the right options for your machine.