[petsc-dev] PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER macro - controlled by configure or not

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 12 21:53:28 CST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> > I was expecting, once I had found it that is, PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER
> > and a corresponding configure ability to turn it on/off, might control
> > everything.
> >

> This was a bug in the prior release. The fix is to remove the
> PETSC_HAVE_SOCKET lines from $PETSC_ARCH/include/petscconf.h and
> rebuild. Should not happen in the new release of configure. Someone
> needs to do this on that machine.

PETSC_HAVE_SOCKET must be a flag from older version. Current sources
appear to not use it - they do use PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER. [configure
needs updating?]

On manually deleting PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER [with petsc-3] - I get
the following:

asterix:/home/balay/tmp/petsc-dist-test/asterix64/lib>nm -Ao *.a |grep PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET
asterix:/home/balay/tmp/petsc-dist-test/asterix64/lib>

So perhaps the original build is some funky broken thing. Since
someone else did this build - its probably not worth diseting it.
Just grab the configure options used from it - and attempt a fresh
install yourself.

Satish