[petsc-dev] forget about libmpiuni completely

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 17 10:06:21 CST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 17 February 2010 11:45, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Make mpiuni truly a download package mimicing other ones exactly.
>> 2) Swallow mpiuni more completely into PETSc, no separate
>> libmpiuni, put the
>> includes/mods in a location they are found automatically without
>> the extra
>> -IXXXX
>> 3) Have a half-plant/half-animal model.
>>

> I definitely vote for (2) ... No separate libmpiuni (put stuff
> libpetscsys), put mpi.*.* in  ${PETSC_ARCH}/include/
>
> However, just in case (think of ./configure --with-mpi=0 --prefix=/
> usr) ...
>
> I think we could do the following:
>
> 1) rename/move "include/mpiuni/mpi.h" to "include/mpiuni.h"
>
> 2) autogenerate a header file "$PETSC_ARCH/include/petscmpi.h",
> #include'ing "mpi.h" or "mpiuni.h" depending on configuration.
>
> 3) Change "petsc.h" to #incluide "petscmpi.h" instead of "mpi.h"

    Yuck. Users often like to shove a #include "mpi.h" into their
source code (even though, of course, when you include petsc.h you
don't need to worry about that), with your model it pushes people too
much into a "PETSc way".

    Your model is clean, but too idealistic I think and would annoy
people.

    Barry