[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #45539] petsc installation failure

Satish Balay petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 29 21:20:27 CDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Barry Smith wrote:

>     THIS IS INSANE! What a stupid useless error message. Why isn't it
> suggesting --with-batch???
>
>      Well, look what happens -----
>
> In checkCCompiler() it builds an executable and seems to run without
> error. This is where configure checks for failed running and prints
> the helpful --with-batch option. But since the "execute" succeeds no
> useful error message.
>
> Then several other executables seem to run fine.
>
> Then it builds the sizeof(char) test code and that is not executable
> and hence the terrible "Unable to determine ..." error message.

Yes - some code compiled for compute nodes also run on the frontend -
but not all..

>     Satish,
>
> Does this same problem occur on our BG?

Nope.. I get:

login1.surveyor:~/petsc-release-3.1 > ./configure --with-fc=mpif77
             Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
TESTING: checkFortranCompiler from config.setCompilers(config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:742)                    *******************************************************************************
                    UNABLE to EXECUTE BINARIES for config/configure.py
Cannot run executables created with FC. If this machine uses a batch system
to submit jobs you will need to configure using/configure.py with the additional option  --with-batch.
 Otherwise there is problem with the compilers. Can you compile and run code with your C/C++ (and maybe Fortran) compilers?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> Can you have the original test of the executable in checkCCompiler()
> make a code with a print statement in it and see if that is not
> executable and hence stops with the correct error message?

I have tested with sizeof.c [in src/benchmarks] and this code compiles
fine with mpicc - and runs on the front-end. I guess I need to find a
trigger that stops this from working..

login1.surveyor:~/junk > mpicc sizeof.c
login1.surveyor:~/junk > ./a.out
long double : 16