[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #45539] petsc installation failure

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 29 21:06:49 CDT 2010

    THIS IS INSANE! What a stupid useless error message. Why isn't it
suggesting --with-batch???

     Well, look what happens -----

In checkCCompiler() it builds an executable and seems to run without
error. This is where configure checks for failed running and prints
the helpful --with-batch option. But since the "execute" succeeds no
useful error message.

Then several other executables seem to run fine.

Then it builds the sizeof(char) test code and that is not executable
and hence the terrible "Unable to determine ..." error message.

    Satish,

Does this same problem occur on our BG?

Can you have the original test of the executable in checkCCompiler()
make a code with a print statement in it and see if that is not
executable and hence stops with the correct error message?

   Barry