[petsc-dev] PETSc packages are way out of date

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 25 00:49:04 CDT 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Barry Smith wrote:

>   The two PETSc packages listed on
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/download/index.html are totally out of
> day, not updated since 2005!!!
>
>   Should we be managing our own Linux/Apple/Windows packages ourselves? Just
> manage ./configure make make install model?

freebsd is a bit old - so we should remove the link. debian is 3.0 -
so still ok.

I guess We should make our './configure make make install model' more
packager friendly. Then its likely to trickle down to various
distributions.

The other stumbling issues wrt packaging are

- dependencies [no support on windows/mac]. For ex: what compiler/s do
  you build for? What do you do about fortran?

- multiple install requirements [c,c++,complex builds].

satish