TS_RK enhancements

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu May 14 17:00:29 CDT 2009

Not sure if this is relevant to this discussion, but you could take a
view to my custom TS implementation for petsc4py. The idea is to being
able to do time-stepping regarding the time-step problem as a
nonlinear problem (think of the Jacobian being the sum of the
mass-matrix and the other linear/nonlinear contributions).

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc4py/petsc4py-dev/file/tip/src/source/src/ts/impls/python/python.c

In particular, see this:

    41 typedef struct _TSPyOps *TSPyOps;
    42
    43 struct _TSPyOps {
    44   PetscErrorCode (*presolve)  (TS);
    45   PetscErrorCode (*postsolve) (TS);
    46   PetscErrorCode (*prestep)   (TS,PetscReal,Vec);
    47   PetscErrorCode (*poststep)  (TS,PetscReal,Vec);
    48
    49   PetscErrorCode (*start)     (TS,PetscReal,Vec);
    50   PetscErrorCode (*step)      (TS,PetscReal,Vec);
    51   PetscErrorCode (*verify)    (TS,PetscReal,Vec,PetscTruth*,PetscReal*);
    52
    53   PetscErrorCode (*monitor)(TS,PetscInt,PetscReal,Vec);
    54
    55 };

The presolve/postsolve are ran only once for the entire timestepping,
prestep/poststep for each timestep, and the start/step/verify are
intended for implementing strategies for controlling the size of the
time-step.

--
Lisandro Dalcín