logic of config options

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 6 09:35:29 CDT 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> You can force in a library using the full path.

Not with the python-list mode. Here configure automatically converts
[/foo/bar/libfoobar.a] to -L/foo/bar -lfooobar [i.e compiler
automatically picks up shared library - not static]

> I think the right way to do this is to make the compiler choose the
> static library. Many compilers have options for this.

> > yeah - its an inconsitancy on our part...
>

> What is an example of an inconsistency?

The incosistance I'm thingig off is: one can do:
--with-lapack-lib=-lapack but not perhaps --with-umfpack-lib=-lumfpack

Maybe it works with umfpack. I'll have to recheck which packages it
does not work for.

[another check is to make sure --with-package-lib="/foo/bar/libfoobar.a"
is preserved without converting to "-L/foo/bar -lfoobar"]

Satish