GMRES and PC_RIGHT

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:46:16 CDT 2009

Well, all you say that GMRES is not coded for right PC's, however,
after reviewing (in a hurry) the code for GMRES, it seems to handle
right preconditioner. Moreover, I've just tested solving (with SNES) a
steady lid-driven cavity flow in 2d with linear quads using SUPG/PSPG,
default tolerances, default restart, no diag-scaling, starting with
zero nonlinear guess ... in short, using -ksp_right_pc and just
changing -ksp_type to gmres/fgmres, and ALL the SNES iterates (up to 3
nonlinear its) and GMRES|FGMRES iterates (64, 169, 177 linear its) are
almost the same (except the last four digits using default KSP
monitor).

Sorry for the insistence, but ...  Am I missing something? Do any of
you remember exactly what part of GMRES had problems with right
preconditioning?

--
Lisandro Dalcín