valgrind creeping into makefiles

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 21 16:44:27 CDT 2009

    I noticed valgrind commands creeping into PETSc example makefiles.
I believe this is a terrible model and would like to remove them.

    I've added support for calling valgrind correctly from linux or
the Mac to $PETSC_DIR/bin/petscmpiexec as an optional first argument -
valgrind.
Thus you can call any PETSc program with valgrind using, for example,
petscmpiexec -valgrind -n 2 ./ex1 -ksp_monitor

    Now for makefile tests one can run, for example: make runex7
MPEXEC="petscmpiexec -valgrind" and it will run the runex7 test under
valgrind.
Is this an acceptable replacement for having all the horrible
redundant use of valgrind directly in the makefiles and do I have
everyones permission to remove the use of valgrind from the makefiles?
If not, what support do I need to add to get rid of the use of
valgrind from the makefiles?