blocked index sets

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 27 13:34:11 CDT 2008

I would say that IS appears to be a *non-scalable* parallel object, since
the only parallel call
available for it seems to be ISAllGather (and variants).
It also seems to me that the real use for an IS is as input to the
ISLocalToGlobalMapping routines and it is
the mapping object that is truly global.

As a test for IS being global, can one imagine a circumstance when the same
IS
can be used with two different mappings which carry different comms?

I also want to point out that, in retrospect, Sieve is an evolution of the
IS/ISLocalToGlobalMapping
set of ideas.

Dmitry.