blocked index sets

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 27 11:13:47 CDT 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> There is no concept of global for IS. They are purely serial. AO is
> the only
> global construct with indices.

    This is kind of true, and maybe used to be completely true. But IS
does
have a communicator and that communicator can be MPI_COMM_WORLD or
any parallel communicator.  In other words the IS is evolving to be an
object
that can be parallel in the same sense as vecs or mats

    There are already ISGetSize() and ISGetLocalSize() so it sure
makes sense
to have the same paradgm for the ISGetBlockSize().

    Barry

Originally IS had no parallel concept, then we added the ISGetSize/
LocalSize
but forgot to do it for the ISBlock...