New approach for external direct solvers in PETSc

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:29:09 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   After a (tiny) bit more thought I think we really should make this change:

Well, very good news!

> cons
> 1) requires a large reorganization of the Mat code (will introduce bugs)
> 2) requires the user to deal with one more PETSc object (MatFactor)
>     But since most users deal with SNES/KSP/PC most users will
>     never see this new object.

Regarding (1) I believe we will end-up with a code having less bugs
than the current one.

Regarding (2), even in the case a user wants to handle by himself the
factorizations outside of KSP/PC, the new object will be not too hard
to use, as it user interface will be not too large.

>  The question is when/how to make this massive change. It is as big
> or bigger than the change I already made with MatGetFactor().

Well, we can start this in a separate branch. And I'll definitively
help you with all this.

--
Lisandro Dalcín