New approach for external direct solvers in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 7 15:05:14 CDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> BTW, Have you ever considered the posibility of not using the 'Mat'
> class for factored matrices?? I believe that normal matrices and
> factored matrices share very few in common as to being instances of
> the same class. Looking at the source code in src/mat, there are many
> checks like 'if (mat-->factor)' or  'if (!mat->factor)' that seems to
> support my concern. What do you think?

    After a (tiny) bit more thought I think we really should make this
change:

pros
1) it will simplify the code a good amount hence less bugs
2) conceptually it makes sense
cons
1) requires a large reorganization of the Mat code (will introduce bugs)
2) requires the user to deal with one more PETSc object (MatFactor)
      But since most users deal with SNES/KSP/PC most users will
      never see this new object.

   The question is when/how to make this massive change. It is as big
or bigger than the change I already made with MatGetFactor().

    Barry