Compiling PETSc with Visual Studio 2008

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 23 08:09:22 CDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Farshid Mossaiby wrote:

> Dear Satish,
>
> Thanks for all your helpful comments.
>
> I am currently doing a 32 bit build. I will try to
> install MPICH2 binaries and report the results.
>
> I read a bit the manual of latest MPICH2; it says you
> can build it very easily under windows. I still cannot
> understand why Matt wrote:
>
> MPICH (and any other MPI) does not build automatically
> on Windows. You have to download binaries, which means
> you are stuck with whatever compilers were used to
> build it.

PETSc configure cannot build it with the option --download-mpich=1 [or
the alternate mpi with --download-lam=1]. If you know how to build it
yourself, and then configure PETSc with it - then that should work.
No one has attempted this on windows yet [as far as I know].

Why would you prefer to build MPICH from sources on windows - when the
binary install is available?

Satish