Compiling PETSc with Visual Studio 2008

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 21 10:16:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Farshid Mossaiby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to try compiling PETSc with Visual Studio 2008
> (Express Edition). I know that even 2005 support in
> not complete (win32fe does not autodetect it), but I
> can try. I may first use Cygwin, but somebody may
> later use Python and other GNU utilities compiled for
> Windows.

Hmm - not sure I understand this - but Cygwin is one version of Python
& GNU utilities compiled for Windows.

What alternative are you thinking of?

> Could you please let me know if somebody has tried it
> before? And what will be the problems, if I want to do
> that?

You can give it a try with the instructions for "Using Visual Studio
2005" and let us know if you encounter errors.

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/installation.html

> Do you have a list of external tools used in
> your build system?

We don't have a complete list. It uses the basic unix tools like pwd,
wc, uniq, sort and then the regular tools like grep, sed etc..  Most
of them are available in a basic cygwin install [except for
make/diff/python]

> Also, where can I find sources for win32fe?

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/win32fe

Satish