Bitkeeper going commercial-only

Matthew Knepley knepley at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 12 14:44:38 CDT 2005

Aron Ahmadia <aron.ahmadia at gmail.com> writes:

> So this is really crappy news, I really liked BK.  How is this going to
> affect PETSc and what are your future short-term and long-term plans?
>
> I have to figure out what I'm doing with COW, and I was wondering how you
> guys were dealing with this.

  They have promised us free licenses. In fact, its pretty easy for any
academic, open source project to get a free license. It turns out Victor
already had one for 2 years now. My guess is once all the Linux kernel
assholes stop caring about BK, it will go back to being completely free.
<Commence beating numbskull, ignorant kernel programmers>

"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec Guiness