Trouble with too many '-W' flags from ./configure

Giovanni A. Cone conega at lanl.gov
Wed May 1 12:32:03 CDT 2013

Hello parallel-netCDF maintainers:

    I am in the process of building parallel-netCDF against
all our provided compilers and related MPI library builds.
I have encountered trouble with the PGI compiler not
successfully building due to it not gracefully ignoring the
plethora of "-W" flags that are set in the "configure.in"
file around lines 80-82.  From my understanding of
Autotools, that modification of the CFLAGS variable
shouldn't even be happening if I pass the "--disable-strict"
flag to the "./configure".  What I have in my ./configure
invocation is:

./configure --prefix=$INST_PATH  --enable-largefile
--with-mpi=$MPI_ROOT --disable-strict

Note: env vars, CC, FC are properly set.

However, it seems that either that the configure script is
still modifying the CFLAGS to have all those "-W" flags, or
there is something wrong with the "configure.in" script.

I should note that builds against the Intel compilers
(11.1.072 to 13.0.1) and GNU compilers (4.4.x to 4.7.2) all
seem to happily ignore these irrelevant "-W" flags just
fine.  I'm guessing PGI is just picky, and I'll submit a bug
report to them as well.  However, there is something not
quite right here
that you should perhaps investigate.  I can work around this
by doing the following in my build scripts:

sed -i '80,82 s/^/dnl /' configure.in

for the time being.

Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

--
!   Giovanni "Vann" Cone
!   LANL HPC-3 Consultant