Error in MPI_File_open

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 26 14:42:35 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 03:16:18PM -0400, Aroma Mahendru wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have complied parallel-netcdf-1.3.1 both on my ubuntu machine as well as
> my account on the lab cluster.
>
> I used :
> ./configure --with-mpi=/path/to/mpi --disable-fortran
> --prefix=/path/to/pnetcdf
> make
> make install
>
> Installation completed without any errors.
> To check I compiled examples in  /path/to/pnetcdf/examples/tutorial using
> make.
> Then,I tried running the executable :
>
>  ./pnetcdf-write-standard abc.nc
>
> It generated the file abc.nc and I can read it using ncmpidump.
> But when I did the same on my account on the lab sever, it gave the
> following error :
>
>  0: MPI_File_open : MPI_ERR_OTHER: known error not in list
> Error at line 60: Can not open/create file

If you google for that error ("MPI_ERR_OTHER: known error not in
list") you get another parallel-netcdf user reporting it:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/parallel-netcdf/2012-January/001243.html

So one possibility might be that your lab cluster has an old version of
an MPI library that doesn't have MPI-IO well supported?

Greg Schussman did not respond to the list after Wei-keng's response,
so I don't know what happened after that.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA