Crash if trying to write a parameter or a constant in a Fortran application

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at ece.northwestern.edu
Tue Jul 9 16:23:37 CDT 2013

One problem is Fortran allows ones to define a parameter array.
Such as
      integer, dimension(8192), parameter :: varp=0

I am not aware of a way to tell a subroutine argument is
parameter or not in Fortran or C. In the above case, segmentation
fault will still occur if writing the entire 8192 elements, though
I wonder if it is rare to see one using large parameter variables
in Fortran.

If we want to document this, we might want to generate an error
code corresponding to it.

One possible solution to forbidding parameter buffers is to declare
the intent of I/O buffer as inout
          <type>, intent(inout) :: buf
but it works only for F90.

Wei-keng