test release: parallel-netcdf 1.3.0pre1

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 23 16:30:45 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 03:07:33PM -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> Oh - and just to confirm - the async capabilities of pnetcdf (eg
> nfmpi_iput_ ) are not supported
> on BGL and BGP - how about BGQ?

Sure, let's clarify a bit.  The interface should be supported: IBM's
MPI supports the necessary MPI-2 features.   The API allows you to
describe multiple operations, then when you wait for completion those
operations will get stitched together into one bigger more efficient
request.

We don't support asynchronous behavior on any platform.  We've seen
big performance gains from our non-blocking interface not because we
can overlap computation and I/O but for two main reasons:
- less synchronization among processors
- more efficient request once I/O actually happens

Argonne National Lab, IL USA