test release: parallel-netcdf 1.3.0pre1

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 23 14:54:18 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 02:48:49PM -0500, Wei-keng Liao wrote:
> I cannot find blrts_xlf on Intrepid.

blrts is the old old BGL way of doing things.  On BGP (Intrepid) that
compiler would be bgxlc.

Jim, our site folks strongly discourage linking directly with bgxlc.
I can certainly believe it was needed in the BGL days in some
situations but your life will be a lot easier if you use the mpi
wrappers.

But we can still add $(LIBS) to the makefile, no problem.

==rob

> [...]
>           F77=mpixlf90 F90=mpixlf90 \
>           MPICC=mpixlc MPICXX=mpixlcxx \
>           MPIF77=mpixlf90 MPIF90=mpixlf90 \
>
> The problem you are seeing looks like a Makefile's issue, rather than the compiler's.
> Could you send me src/lib/Makefile generated after running configure?
>
> Wei-keng
>

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Jim Edwards wrote:
>
> > Hi Wei-keng,
> >
> > Can you install this on intrepid?   I was just about to test there.
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Wei-keng Liao <wkliao at ece.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> > Hi, Jim,
> >
> > I just built the prerelease 1.3.0pre1 on Intrepid, the BGP at Argonne, but
> > could not reproduce the error you reported. The Makefile in
> > src/lib for building ncvalid has the following lines related to ncvalid.
> > LIBRARY         = libpnetcdf.a
> > PROGRAM         = ncvalid
> > $(PROGRAM):     $(PROG_OBJS) $(LIBRARY)
> >        $(LINK.c) $(PROG_OBJS) $(LIBRARY)
> >
> > So, it should put the library file at the end of link command.
> >
> > Could you tell us the configure command line you used and also
> > send us the src/lib/Makefile?
> >
> > Here is my configure command line:
> > ./configure --host powerpc-bgp-linux --build powerpc64-suse-linux --with-mpi=/bgsys/drivers/ppcfloor/comm CFLAGS="-Wall -g -O0"
> >
> > Wei-keng
> >

> > On Apr 21, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Jim Edwards wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Rob,
> > >
> > > In building the prerelease the program ncvalid trys to link without libraries - this fails on bgl.   I fixed it by adding $(LIBS) to the link line in the src/lib/Makefile.
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Rob Latham <robl at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello to our pnetcdf community.
> > >
> > > Did you realize our last release was in August.  Of 2010?  In some
> > > ways that's great: Parallel-NetCDF churns along, hopefully delivering
> > > good performance, and we've had no show-stopping bugs come up forcing
> > > us to make a new release.
> > >
> > > However, development does continue, and we're feeling pretty good
> > > about the new features in SVN trunk lately, so let's have a
> > > pre-release so we can get these new features out into applications'
> > > hands.
> > >
> > > Of particular note:
> > > - A new "buffered put" api, an extension to the non-blocking
> > >  interface.  See the release notes for more information.
> > > - Various bug fixes and optimizations
> > > - You used to need a custom pnetcdf.h header file from Unidata if you
> > >  wanted to build NetCDF-4 with parallel-netcdf support.  Now you no
> > >  longer need their header file.
> > >
> > > For more information, including download or SVN links, please see the
> > > release notes:
> > >
> > > https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/ReleaseNotes-1.3.0
> > >
> > > ==rob (on behalf of the entire pnetcdf team at ANL and NWU)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rob Latham
> > > Mathematics and Computer Science Division

Argonne National Lab, IL USA