parallel-netcdf-1.1.1 released

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 28 15:38:25 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:30:34PM -0600, Gerald Creager wrote:
> Lemme see how WRF behaves. I can probably create the WRF
> preprocessing system with NetcDF-3.6.3, but I desperately need
> parallel-NetCDF for one  the model domains I'm running... I'm dying
> now on I/O and was told simply this was the answer.

OK, I think I understand where the confusion lies: parallel-netcdf
should work just fine for you, and everything appears to be in good
shape.

The libpnetcdf.a you have in the lib/ directory will behave exactly
like a libpnetcdf.so (if we had one) when you compile WRF.

When you link with "-lpnetcdf", the linker will look for libpnetcdf.so
and then fall back to libpnetcdf.a.

The only difference is that when you execute your program, there will
be one less thing that can go wrong (shared libraries can get out of
sync, or be in an odd location, or ...).  That's why we like static
libs, though I recognize there are some situations where shared libs
work better.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA