Parallel netCDF in 64 bits environment

Jianwei Li jianwei at ece.northwestern.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:16:35 CDT 2005

Hi, Yu-heng,

We have already successfully built our pnetCDF on an IBM SP2 in
64-bit mode. As documented in README.SP, the following setting
was used:

    setenv OBJECT_MODE 64
    setenv MPICC  mpcc_r
    setenv MPIF77 mpxlf_r
    setenv F77    xlf
    setenv FC     xlf
    setenv CC     xlc
    setenv CXX    xlC
    setenv CFLAGS -q64
    setenv FFLAGS -q64
    setenv F90FLAGS -q64
    setenv CXXFLAGS -q64

Please let us know if it still doesn't work. And Thanks!

As to netCDF-4.0, as far as I know, it will be built on top of
HDF5, with HDF5 parallel I/O support atop of MPI-IO and new
netCDF API semantics. The physical File Format should be in HDF5.
So, the design, implementation, performance and compatibility
will be quite different between netCDF-4.0 and PnetCDF.
So far, PnetCDF is the only public one that provides high
performance parallel I/O support for traditional netCDF file
format.

Jianwei