Parallel-NetCDF 1.0.0 pre-release for NEC SX

Rene Redler redler at ccrl-nece.de
Thu Apr 14 07:05:28 CDT 2005

hi all,

    the appropriate loader option forced the loader
to build a binary by ignoring unresolved symbols.
It was already documented in README.SX by myself ;(
sorry.

Nevertheless it would not be nice to have this
in the final release since the user would have
to set the loader option any time when linking
against the libpnetcdf.a

When running nf_test on the SX I noticed some problem
with the int1 and int2 interfaces. Integer*1 is
not supported by the SX compiler.

During the configure the following is detected:

checking size of short... (cached) 2
checking size of int... (cached) 4
checking size of long... (cached) 8
checking size of float... (cached) 4
checking size of double... (cached) 8
checking size of size_t... (cached) 4
checking sizeof MPI_Offset... (cached) 8
checking size of MPI_Offset... (cached) 8
checking for Fortran "byte"... no
checking for Fortran "integer*1"... no
checking for Fortran "integer(kind(1))"... yes
checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer(kind(1))" is C "signed char"... no
checking if Fortran "integer(kind(1))" is C "short"... no
checking if Fortran "integer(kind(1))" is C "int"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer(kind(1))" is C "long"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... yes
checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... yes
checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... yes
checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "byte"... integer
checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "short"... integer*2
checking for Fortran "integer*8"... yes

Then it seems to me as if the variable declarations in the
interface are not consistent (in my mpinetcdf.h):

When I look at the definition of the 4th parameter for the
nfmpi_*_att_int* family I find the following

nfmpi_put_att_int1  :  char
nfmpi_get_att_int1  :  int

nfmpi_put_att_int2  :  int
nfmpi_get_att_int2  :  short

nfmpi_put_att_int   :  MPI_Fint
nfmpi_get_att_int   :  int

To me only the last pair seems to be consistent
and it might explain what could go wrong here.

Are there any other ideas or suggestions how to fix this?

Best regards, Rene