Parallel-NetCDF 1.0.0 pre-release

Rene Redler redler at ccrl-nece.de
Wed Apr 13 03:41:50 CDT 2005

Hi Rob,

    within the PRISM project Reiner Vogelsang, SGI has made an attempt
to implement your parallel NetCDF as another option for doing
the file IO inside our coupling/IO library.

The IO itself is based on the mpp_io package provided by Balaji
from GFDL, Priceton, and he basically replaced the nf calls
by nfmpi calls.

When trying to run this we encounter some (minor) problems.

1.) nfmpi_inq_libvers is missing in the Fortran interface
2.) nfmpi_set_fill is not implemented

3.) nfmpi_def_dim required the input length to be declared as
     integer(kind=MPI_OFFSET_KIND)

4.) NF_UNLIMITED, often used as input parameter to nfmpi_def_dim
     is only declared as default integer, typically different from
     MPI_OFFSET_KIND. Using NF_UNLIMITED causes nfmpi_def_dim
     to return an error.

5.) Our file names contain the time in a format hh:mm:ss . These
     colons are misinterpreted by pnetcdf. Apparently you use the
     colon to look after information concerning the file system.

Some hints for the installation of Parallel-NetCDF 1.0.0 under
Suse Linux.

yacc and lex are not included in the standard installation.
To have yacc available the bison package is required. To have
lex available the flex package must be installed.

Regards, Rene

   René Redler
   C&C Research Laboratories
   NEC Europe Ltd.                 Tel: +49 (0)2241 925240
   Rathausallee 10                 Fax: +49 (0)2241 925299
   53757 Sankt Augustin            URL: www.ccrl-nece.de/~redler