[Nek5000-users] Parameter settings on filterWeight and filterCutoffRatio

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 10 03:11:50 CDT 2018

Hi,
Indeed, there is a weak dependence on the actual value, which is case
(and resolution) dependent. Note that the weight has the unit of an
inverse time scale. The filter is to some extent self-regulating as the
actual forcing is proportional to the high-pass filtered velocity
itself, so it can be viewed as a P controller.

There is some discussion on the dependence for a similar LES methodology
in my thesis some years ago:
http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:27816/eth-27816-02.pdf
and in some related papers.

Philipp