[Nek5000-users] Boundary nodes cordinates and random generator

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 16 11:15:33 CDT 2018

But I guess you want some temporal correlation as well, i.e. your modes
will evolve as a harmonic signal also in time? Typically, we chose a few
modes (say 150) with random wavenumbers and phases, but then we just
evolve them in space and time. So the problem is then rather to evaluate
the complex exponential (i.e. cosine and sine signals) than random numbers.

So in that case, one needs to have a RNG that works well in parallel and
you can restart a simulation without "kinks".

But if you do not need these properties, I would say that computing 150
random numbers is not very expensive. I typically use a quite "simple"
generator from Numerical recipes, just because it is portable and gives
the same numbers on all machines.

Philipp