[Nek5000-users] Heat flux boundary condition

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 28 10:10:51 CST 2018

Hi Neks,

i am calculating a laminar pipe flow. The temperature boundary conditions are a fixed fluid temperature at the entrance and a constant wall heat flux over a short section in the middle oft the pipe. The remaining pipe wall is adiabatic. For the velocity field I assume periodic BCs.

Because the given heat flux contour over the axial coordinate should be an ideal hat-function, I expected the temperature gradient to have the same contour.

But when calculating the temperature gradient at the wall, the resulting temperature gradient contour doesn´t represent an ideal hat-function but a more rounded down contour.

Now I am wondering, if Nek can not implement the given heat flux BC correctly. Did anybody have similar experiences?

Thank you!

Theresa