[Nek5000-users] Small random perturbations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 17 11:42:49 CDT 2018

Hi,
to circumvent the problem of specifying initial conditions (which should
even be divergence free) we have made good experience with a
physics-inspired tripping (i.e. a small vertical force which then
amplifies due to lift-up). This has really solved our problems with
getting a flow turbulent.

The fact that a flow relaminarises when going from low to high
resolution I have seen before, in particular for marginally turbulent
cases. The recommendation is to increase the resolution in small steps,
and making sure that you let the flow adapt at the intermediate resolutions.

Best regards,
Philipp