[Nek5000-users] Small random perturbations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 6 11:37:05 CST 2018

Dear Ali,

I've had good luck for rapid transition to turbulence in pipes with the attached i.c. routine.

In addition to random perturbations, it has a significant amount stream wise vorticity near the pipe wall that is rapidly stretched by the mean shear profile, so it generally takes off fairly quickly (e.g., within 10 convective time units).

Alternatively or in conjunction with this, you can start with a high Reynolds number and then reduce the Re once turbulence has set in.

hth,

Paul