[Nek5000-users] Sponge layer in Nek5000

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 1 13:24:45 CST 2018

Hi Daniel,

We did implement the Sponge layer a couple of years back in nek5000 at the
outflow boundary condition. We used a Smagorinsky type of eddy-viscosity
closure where the Smagorinsky coefficient quadratically varies in the x
direction (where is the direction of dominant flow), close to a few
elements near the outflow. You can set it up with uservp in nek5000.
However, the stabilized natural outflow boundary conditions by Dong et al.
(2014) behaves much better than the sponge layer in my opinion. For my type
of problem the sponge layer actually creates artificial diffusive
structures close to the boundary, even when they are applied very smoothly,
and you need to chop off the near-outflow region for data analysis.