[Nek5000-users] Genmap, Periodic Condition and Matlab converter

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 27 14:46:54 CDT 2018

Good afternoon community,

I am having a problem running a simulation on Nek5000. I will try to
summarize the steps so that maybe you can easily identify a solution to the
problem:

1. Mesh creation using Gambit with Inlet, Outlet, Wall and Periodic
Boundary conditions. The mesh has a total of about 120,000 elements.

2. Mesh converstion to Nek format using a Matlab converter. More precisely,
the one I found in this link:
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/nek5000-users/2010-June/000645.html

3. Running genmap to create the partitions. At this point, I get the
following error: PERIODIC MISMATCH 2.

I've tried eliminating the boundary conditions and the map file is done
correctly, which means that the error is probably on the boundary
conditions. I've also checked mesh and every periodic boundary condition
seems to be applied properly.

The only thing that makes me think is wrong is the matlab conversion from
Gambit to Nek5000. In the output mesh, the Periodic Condition is defined as
follows (the following is an example):

P    5470  2         0       0.00000       0.00000       0.00000
 0.00000

Which esentially means that face 2 from element 5470 is periodic with face
0 of element 0. The 3rd and 4th column should represent the face and number
of element which is periodic with the first one. In the output mesh after
the matlab conversion, these two elements are always 0 and I believe this
is a mistake.

Has any of you had any experience with this matlab conversor and periodic
boundary conditions? Could any of you guide me towards a solution for this
problem?

Thank you very much,

Roger