[Nek5000-users] turbChannel compiling issue after adding more elements

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 25 13:02:35 CST 2018

The local problem size (defined by the local number of elements) is important when it comes to time to solution and memory consumption.

Typically the 2GB limit is reached for lx1=8 and 500-1000 elements. Yes, this limit can be relaxed by e.g. -mcmodel=medium but this is not needed.  The 2GB limit is not a real limitation as in almost all production runs the number of elements per MPI rank is way lower (reasonable time to solution).

In your case you compiled Nek5000 for a local problem size of lelg/lpmin = 36864 elements. This is a pretty huge number!
No way this fits into the 2GB memory limit. Moreoever, your computation would take forever if you would run Nek5000 with just lpmin MPI ranks.

Hope this helps,
Stefan